AnalySIS TIFF images

Eric LEROY
Hi,

    I work on a FEI tecnai F20 electron microscope and we have a SIS
MegaView III camera installed. The software used for the acquisition is
analysis from SIS. This software produces 16 or 8 bits TIFF images that are
readable by ImageJ. But the spatial calibration that should written inside
the file is not read by ImageJ and therefore the images are not calibrated
under ImageJ. Does anybody have an idea were and how the spatial calibration
is stored in these images?

    Thank you

Best regards

                           \\_//
                          -(@ @)-
 ----------------------oOO--(_)--Ooo-------------------------

       Eric LEROY Dr.
       Laboratoire de Chimie Metallurgique des Terres Rares
       UPR 209 - CNRS
       Groupe des Laboratoires de Thiais
       2-8, rue Henri Dunant
       94320 THIAIS cedex

       Tel   : (33) (0)1 49 78 12 09 ou 13 24
       Fax   : (33) (0)1 49 78 12 03
       email : [hidden email]
       http://www.glvt-cnrs.fr/microscope
 ------------------------------Oooo.-------------------------
                 .oooO         (   )
                 (   )          ) /
                  \ (          (_/
                   \_)

Re: AnalySIS TIFF images

Mark McNabb
Hi Eric,

This is a good reference on TIFF metadata:

http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/baseline.html

I don't know if there is a way to extract the information you need from
the TIFF file using ImageJ, others may know.  I think that some of these
systems can store this data in propietary formats or though history data
and then only export TIFFs without resolution unit data.  Sometimes the
best bet is the use the function in the camera software to place a scale
bar on the image -- it can be hard to figure out as I have we have this
same camera on our TEM and have heard others complain about it.  I'm just
using negatives still on that 'scope.

Mark.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Eric LEROY wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I work on a FEI tecnai F20 electron microscope and we have a SIS
> MegaView III camera installed. The software used for the acquisition is
> analysis from SIS. This software produces 16 or 8 bits TIFF images that are
> readable by ImageJ. But the spatial calibration that should written inside
> the file is not read by ImageJ and therefore the images are not calibrated
> under ImageJ. Does anybody have an idea were and how the spatial calibration
> is stored in these images?
>
>    Thank you
>
> Best regards
>
>                           \\_//
>                          -(@ @)-
> ----------------------oOO--(_)--Ooo-------------------------
>
>       Eric LEROY Dr.
>       Laboratoire de Chimie Metallurgique des Terres Rares
>       UPR 209 - CNRS
>       Groupe des Laboratoires de Thiais
>       2-8, rue Henri Dunant
>       94320 THIAIS cedex
>
>       Tel   : (33) (0)1 49 78 12 09 ou 13 24
>       Fax   : (33) (0)1 49 78 12 03
>       email : [hidden email]
>       http://www.glvt-cnrs.fr/microscope
> ------------------------------Oooo.-------------------------
>                 .oooO         (   )
>                 (   )          ) /
>                  \ (          (_/
>                   \_)

Re: AnalySIS TIFF images

Michael Elbaum
I looked at some images taken with the same camera & SIS. It seems that
the resolution information is not in the header. You can see all this
with "identify -verbose" from Imagemagick. (or perhaps there's a header
plugin for tif???) It must be stored  separately in the database. I
don't know how open the format is.

Michael

Prof. Michael Elbaum
Dept. of Materials and Interfaces