Rolling Ball subtraction doesn't seem to work

Rolling Ball subtraction doesn't seem to work

sean_incali
Is there a benchmark test for rolling ball algorithm implemented in IMAGEJ?

If I take a Histrogram of an image opened using LSM plugin, and convert it to 8
bit color image. Then background-subtract from Process>subtract background, and
then again take another histrogram, Tthe two histograms are exactly the same.

Same Mean, Min, Max, Std Dev, and counts.  What do I to make sure the algorithm
is working?

And it appears the default size for the rolling ball is 50(which i assume is in
pixels?)

the documentation says,
The Rolling Ball Radius should be at least as large as the radius of the
largest object in the image that is not part of the background.

Could someone be kind enough to translate for me? If I have cells of varying
sizes and if the biggest cell in a pic is about 110 pixels long and 130 pixels
wide, what number do I use?

Also, What is the white background option? and why does it change the picture
so much?

And lastly, Where might I find the article Biomedical imgaing proessing, IEEE
computer january 1983? I can't seem to find it in my library. IS that same as
procedding from IEEE?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

sean