Saving as 8-bit

Bill Saidel
I have a stack that was originally an RGB video.  I used the Image tab>type>8-bit to convert the entire stack, which it did.  I saved the new stack as an avi thinking it would be an 8-bit stack when I reloaded. On reloading, the stack was identified as an RGB stack.  Is it possible to convert a stack from one type to another and save as the new type?

Prof emeritus Wm Saidel
Dept of Biology
Camden campus
Camden, NJ 08102

Re: Saving as 8-bit

Gabriel Landini
On Sunday, 18 April 2021 21:21:45 BST William Saidel wrote:
> I have a stack that was originally an RGB video.  I used the Image
> tab>type>8-bit to convert the entire stack, which it did.  I saved the new
> stack as an avi thinking it would be an 8-bit stack when I reloaded. On
> reloading, the stack was identified as an RGB stack.  Is it possible to
> convert a stack from one type to another and save as the new type?

Hi, after loading the video and converting it to 8bit, save it in tiff format.

Regards

Gabriel

Re: Saving as 8-bit

Michael Schmid
Hi William,

if you have an 8-bit image and use no compression or PNG compression for
"Save As AVI", the opened image will be an 8-bit monochrome image, and
no compression losses will occur.
If you use JPEG compression, ImageJ will read the avi as RGB image, but
you can select "Convert to Grayscale" when opening the avi file. to get
an 8-bit monochrome image.

Note that saving the avi with JPEG compression will cause compression
artifacts, so it is not meant for analyzing the saved images any
further. JPEG is useful only only for viewing (e.g. embedding in a
presentation).

Michael