WDM driver and ImageJ?

Klaus Michel
Hello,

my first post to this list, i hope i am not asking things that have been
asked too often.
Here is my problem: I would like to use ImageJ (on a Windows XP
computer) together with a Lumenera camera (Lu 165). This is an
'industrial' version which is handy and small and comes with a very
basic acquisition software and a Windows WDM - driver.
There is also a 'scientific' version of the camera which comes with a
TWAIN driver (and a more sophisticated software) but this type is
bigger, heavier and costs much more - three criteria which make it very
unfavorable for our lab.
So my question is: Has anybody ever thought about interfacing ImageJ
and WDM drivers (searching in the list with the keyword gives no
results)? Or does anybody already use a Lumenera camera with
ImageJ?

Thanks for any help (and of course many thanks for ImageJ to
Wayne!!)

Klaus

--
Dr. K. Michel
Dept. of Human Biology
Fax: +49 (0)8161 715785
email: [hidden email]

Re: WDM driver and ImageJ?

Wayne Rasband
> my first post to this list, i hope i am not asking things
> that have been asked too often. Here is my problem: I would
> like to use ImageJ (on a Windows XP computer) together with
> a Lumenera camera (Lu 165). This is an 'industrial' version
> which is handy and small and comes with a very basic
> acquisition software and a Windows WDM - driver. There is
> also a 'scientific' version of the camera which comes with a
> TWAIN driver (and a more sophisticated software) but this
> type is bigger, heavier and costs much more - three criteria
> which make it very unfavorable for our lab. So my question
> is: Has anybody ever thought about interfacing ImageJ and
> WDM drivers (searching in the list with the keyword gives no
> results)? Or does anybody already use a Lumenera camera with
> ImageJ?

In theory, you can capture images from a camera with a WDM driver by
using the QuickTime_Capture plugin in conjunction with adaptor software
from vdig.com or AbstractPlane.

   http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/qt-capture.html
   http://www.vdig.com/WinVDIG/
   http://www.abstractplane.com.au/products/vdig.jsp

-wayne

Re: WDM driver and ImageJ?

Henry Barwood
Wayne,

I tried to do this, but the latest version of QT only runs on 2000/NT. Any
suggestions for those of us who still have an abacus hooked up to a viewbox
(W98 users!)? Thanks.

Henry

Henry Barwood
Associate Professor of Science, Earth Science
Department of Math and Physics
MSCX 312G
Troy University
Troy, Alabama  36082
[hidden email]

> my first post to this list, i hope i am not asking things
> that have been asked too often. Here is my problem: I would
> like to use ImageJ (on a Windows XP computer) together with
> a Lumenera camera (Lu 165). This is an 'industrial' version
> which is handy and small and comes with a very basic
> acquisition software and a Windows WDM - driver. There is
> also a 'scientific' version of the camera which comes with a
> TWAIN driver (and a more sophisticated software) but this
> type is bigger, heavier and costs much more - three criteria
> which make it very unfavorable for our lab. So my question
> is: Has anybody ever thought about interfacing ImageJ and
> WDM drivers (searching in the list with the keyword gives no
> results)? Or does anybody already use a Lumenera camera with
> ImageJ?

In theory, you can capture images from a camera with a WDM driver by
using the QuickTime_Capture plugin in conjunction with adaptor software
from vdig.com or AbstractPlane.

   http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/qt-capture.html
   http://www.vdig.com/WinVDIG/
   http://www.abstractplane.com.au/products/vdig.jsp

-wayne

Movie capture?

Henry Barwood
I have a really stupid question. I'm capturing Infrared images with an old
Vicam (3Com) camera. It has a maximum exposure of 1/4 second and I would
like to capture a stack of images (like amateur astronomers do with AVI
files). I've tried just about everything I can think of and cannot get a
video to save. I don't know if it is the age of the camera, or if I'm just
having a run of bad luck with software. Can anyone make a suggestion
(polite, please) as to how I might go about this? I'm working in W98.
Thanks.

Henry Barwood
Associate Professor of Science, Earth Science
Department of Math and Physics
MSCX 312G
Troy University
Troy, Alabama  36082
[hidden email]

Re: WDM driver and ImageJ?

W. Chan
Hi Henry

You can get previous versions of QT from AppleCare.

http://www.apple.com/support/quicktime/

Look like 6.5 still support w98.  Cheers.

--
Pang (Wai Pang Chan, [hidden email])