how to retain a line selection

Alpesh Khushalchand Shukla
I have images which have line like features, and I need to measure length of each line segment. I am
doing this manually, i.e., measuring the length of each line segment, looking up the length on the
toolbar, and typing it in Kaleidagraph. I cannot use the automatic measure because my TEM images
are not very high-contrast images, and thresholding would give a very high amount of error.

My problem: Is there a way to retain a line selection? When I go to the next feature, the last one
disappears. this creates confusion as I have to keep a close track of which line segments I have
measured. If they can be marked, the job (which is really tedious) will become a little easier.

Thanks

Alpesh

Re: how to retain a line selection

Jeff Brandenburg
The ROI Manager plugin (Analyze: Tools: ROI Manager...) lets you
maintain a list of selections, but as distributed it doesn't let you
display all selections at once.

I did a modified version of ROI Manager several years ago that allowed
me to display and measure several different ROIs at once, but it
involved a lot of clumsy and heavy-handed modifications to other
classes (including, among others, ImagePlus), and so it wasn't really
suitable for release.

Would it work in your application to mark (Edit: Draw) each selection
after you measure it?  It would modify your working copy of the image,
but at least you'd be able to see what you've done.

        -jeffB (Jeff Brandenburg, Duke Center for In-Vivo Microscopy)

Re: how to retain a line selection

Robert Baer
You may want to download Wayne's "Measure and Label" plugin:
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/measure-label.html

It is most convenient to use if you assign a shortcut key to the plugin.
Rob

> I have images which have line like features, and I need to measure length
of each line segment. I am
> doing this manually, i.e., measuring the length of each line segment,
looking up the length on the
> toolbar, and typing it in Kaleidagraph. I cannot use the automatic measure
because my TEM images
> are not very high-contrast images, and thresholding would give a very high
amount of error.

> My problem: Is there a way to retain a line selection? When I go to the
next feature, the last one
> disappears. this creates confusion as I have to keep a close track of
which line segments I have
> measured. If they can be marked, the job (which is really tedious) will
become a little easier.

> Thanks
>
> Alpesh

Re: how to retain a line selection

Alpesh Khushalchand Shukla
I found this Measure and label macro useful. One more
question: how can I assign a shortcut key? (so that I
don't have to go to plugins-macro-measure&label)
everytime?

Alpesh

--- Robert Baer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You may want to download Wayne's "Measure and Label"
> plugin:

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/measure-label.html

> It is most convenient to use if you assign a
> shortcut key to the plugin.
> Rob

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: how to retain a line selection

Wayne Rasband
> I found this Measure and label macro useful. One
>  more  question: how can I assign a shortcut key?
> (so that I  don't have to go to plugins-macro-measure&label)
> everytime?

Change the first line of the macro from

       macro "Measure and label" {

       macro "Measure and label [F1]" {

reinstall it and you will be able to run it by pressing the F1 key.

More information and examples can be found at

    http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/developer/macro/macros.html#shortcuts

-wayne