measurement within outlined area

ANDREI SDRULLA
Hi,

I have z-stacks of 8 bit grayscale images that have structures (cells) outlined by hand (they're outlined by hand because thresholding doesn't work well).  I want to get measurements of the area outlined, mean pixel value, sum of all pixels within the outline, etc..  Any ideas/plugins on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Andrei

Re: measurement within outlined area

Ludgate, David
All these are possible, if you can select the outlined cell (create a
roi around it). As for how to do this automatically, you could look at
the wand tool, or perhaps analyze particles. I've had success with
inverting an image so that white areas look like black particles, then
using particle analyzer to get measurements on that area.
dave

Andrei

Re: measurement within outlined area

ANDREI SDRULLA
The problem is that i'm not sure how to outline the outline :)  You're right, inverting the image and then using the wand tool is a possibilty; then I have to invert it again, plus it doesn't give me a lot of flexibility in terms of what I can measure.  I'll probably have to do it though unless I figure something else out..

Thanks,
andrei

> All these are possible, if you can select the outlined cell (create a
> roi around it). As for how to do this automatically, you could look at
> the wand tool, or perhaps analyze particles. I've had success with
> inverting an image so that white areas look like black particles, then
> using particle analyzer to get measurements on that area.
> dave

W. Chan
Hi Andrei

If your outline is distinct from your image e.g., the outline is 255 and
nothing in your sample is 255 then simply select the wand tool and click
on the outline will have it selected.  Then you can threshold the image
but restrict the range so it does not cover 255.  If you run particle
analysis, it should be done on the structure but not the outline.

If you hold down the shift key while applying the wand, you can select
multiple outlines.  Blowing up the image may facilitate cursor placement
while using the wand.  Or you can use the ROI manager tool to combine
multiple ROI.  Good luck.

--
Pang (Wai Pang Chan, [hidden email])