out of memory

Wolfgang Kelsch
hello,

what is reason that my pc states <out of memory> after 300 MB even
though it has 2 GB physical RAM. is there a similar problem as with
macs that image j estimates the RAM needs to high?

thanks,
wolfgang

Re: out of memory

dscho
Hi,

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Wolfgang Kelsch wrote:

> what is reason that my pc states <out of memory> after 300 MB even though it
> has 2 GB physical RAM. is there a similar problem as with macs that image j
> estimates the RAM needs to high?

As mentioned in the documentation, Java does its own form of memory
management, and therefore needs to be provided with a parameter telling
how much memory should be reserved from the beginning. I don't remember
how you change that setting, but that's described in the documentation as
well.

Hth,
Dscho

Re: out of memory

Huang, Judy C
In the PC environment you can go to control panel and change the JAVA
Runtime Parameters in the Java Plug-in Control Panel giving something like
-Xmx512m or you can do this command at the DOS command prompt when you run
ImageJ.

-Judy
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Wolfgang Kelsch wrote:

> what is reason that my pc states <out of memory> after 300 MB even though
it
> has 2 GB physical RAM. is there a similar problem as with macs that image
> estimates the RAM needs to high?

As mentioned in the documentation, Java does its own form of memory
management, and therefore needs to be provided with a parameter telling
how much memory should be reserved from the beginning. I don't remember
how you change that setting, but that's described in the documentation as
well.

Hth,
Dscho

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.