Plot with x-axis category labels to indicate time as hh:mm:ss

Plot with x-axis category labels to indicate time as hh:mm:ss

ROUSSEL Simon
Dear Imagej users/developpers,
In a macro, I plot Time series, which I want to explore by interactively
changing the X scale on the plot.
I try to have the X-Axis showing the real time as hh:mm:ss instead of time
points 1, 2, 3 and so on. For this I use the built-in function
Plot.create("Title", "{cat1,cat2,cat3}", "Y-axis Label"), where
cat1,cat2,cat3... is a string with the hh:mm:ss labels, separated by commas.
Unfortunately, these labels do not adapt to the x-axis zooming level, so
that they are not at the right place on the x-axis, except at high zooming
level. Actually, not all labels should be show, when there is not enough
place on the plot, as it is with standard 1,2,3 ... x-axis.
Did I missed something, or I there a way to avoid this problem, or is it a
bug ?
If not, it might be a feature request ...
Thanks in avance.

Simon ROUSSEL

Re: Plot with x-axis category labels to indicate time as hh:mm:ss

Michael Schmid
Hi Simon,

the ImageJ plots do not implement time in hh:mm:ss format.
Although ImageJ can do plotting, it is not really a full-fledged
plotting program.
Wouldn't it be enough to have something like "Minutes after 11:00" as x
axis label and simple numbers on the axis? This would also facilitate
reading time differences (With hh:mm:ss it is a pain to determine how
long an event has lasted if it was between 11:47:44 and 13:35:37).

Michael
On 09.06.21 11:41, ROUSSEL Simon wrote:

> Dear Imagej users/developpers,
> In a macro, I plot Time series, which I want to explore by interactively
> changing the X scale on the plot.
> I try to have the X-Axis showing the real time as hh:mm:ss instead of time
> points 1, 2, 3 and so on. For this I use the built-in function
> Plot.create("Title", "{cat1,cat2,cat3}", "Y-axis Label"), where
> cat1,cat2,cat3... is a string with the hh:mm:ss labels, separated by commas.
> Unfortunately, these labels do not adapt to the x-axis zooming level, so
> that they are not at the right place on the x-axis, except at high zooming
> level. Actually, not all labels should be show, when there is not enough
> place on the plot, as it is with standard 1,2,3 ... x-axis.
> Did I missed something, or I there a way to avoid this problem, or is it a
> bug ?
> If not, it might be a feature request ...
> Thanks in avance.
>
> Simon ROUSSEL

Re: Plot with x-axis category labels to indicate time as hh:mm:ss

ROUSSEL Simon
Thanks for your reply. I will find some way as you suggested.
Cheers
simon

Re: Plot with x-axis category labels to indicate time as hh:mm:ss

Fred Damen
Greetings,

If you want to plot data in a fancy way using data extracted from ImageJ
you might want to look at Gnu_Plot plugin
(https://imagej.net/plugins/gnu-plot).    ImageJ is great at integrating
your imaging data, but sometimes your persnickety for how the data is
presented dominates.  If you have gnuplot installed you can interactively,
or through Java plugins, generate these fancy plots..., albeit not easily
through macros or GUI interaction with the plot itself.

Enjoy,

Fred