processing light and dark areas

Erik Eilers
Hi,
 We are working on a new project on Spotted Dolphins, and are trying to
see how Image J can help us in our goal.  We currently know that there are
two types of Spotted Dolphins, inshore and offshore.  The inshore types
have heavy spotting on  their backs, and the offshore types have little
spotting and are generally dark.  We are looking for a way to define
certain areas on the animal and have the program "rate" numerically the
amount of spotting on these areas.  I am not sure of the best way to
achieve a numerically rated area for our images, weather it should be a
relationship of light to dark skin in these areas or number of spots???
Any suggestions would be great.  I can send images through as well if that
helps you guys.
Thanks for the help.
Erik Eilers

Re: processing light and dark areas

Dr. Yoo-Jin Kim
You could do that by segmenting the spots (i.e. threshold-technique) and
determining the area-related labelling-index. Send me some example images,
I´ll see what I can do.
Cheers,
Yoo-Jin Kim

>  We are working on a new project on Spotted Dolphins, and are trying to
> see how Image J can help us in our goal.  We currently know that there are
> two types of Spotted Dolphins, inshore and offshore.  The inshore types
> have heavy spotting on  their backs, and the offshore types have little
> spotting and are generally dark.  We are looking for a way to define
> certain areas on the animal and have the program "rate" numerically the
> amount of spotting on these areas.  I am not sure of the best way to
> achieve a numerically rated area for our images, weather it should be a
> relationship of light to dark skin in these areas or number of spots???
> Any suggestions would be great.  I can send images through as well if that
> helps you guys.
> Thanks for the help.
> Erik Eilers

Re: processing light and dark areas

rock fest
HELLO ERIK - I JUST DISCOVERED & INSTALLED IMAGEJ YESTERDAY. I ALSO HAVE THE GIMP. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE EITHER YET. BUT I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE AN INTERESTING PROJECT TO CUT MY EGG TOOTH ON. I'VE LOVED DOLPHINS EVER SINCE I SAW FLIPPER AS A LITTLE BOY. SO SEND ME SOME PICS & I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO.  THANX -